Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Being a Teacher




My Guided Reading Lesson Plan
Summer Reading Program
Entering into 8th Grade 


During the Summer Reading Program, we had the chance to read stories to the students going into the first grade. First we chose pictures books we thought the younger kids would enjoy. I chose the book Froggy Eats Out because I loved this book when I was little. 

 

Next we practiced reading the books to improve our fluency so we were ready to read. After practicing, we created lessons plans to go with our books. We planned how to introduce the story, questions to ask during the story, and an activity to do after. We wrote notes to remember our questions and the correct answers. 





To remind us where to stop to ask questions, we used post-it notes as bookmarks. The post-it notes had the question numbers written on them.









After we read the story, I had the kids to an activity. I asked "what is your favorite food?" and "where do you like to eat it?" They drew pictures and wrote sentences to show their answers. 


When I worked with the first graders, I felt like I was a teacher. Teaching was fun, but can be hard. Some of my students were very hyper and it was hard to help them listen. Some of my students wanted to work fast, but others wanted to work slow. I had to keep them all on the same page at the same time. I reminded them to follow along with the story. Next time, I would choose a longer story because I had extra time at the end of my lesson. On the last day of the Summer Reading Program, I lead a guided reading group of sixth graders. I think the practice I had with the first graders helped me to do this. I really liked teaching the younger students. 






No comments:

Post a Comment